I love warmer weather and cooking out with my friends. Every year I always try to find new recipes to try. Now, I LOVE fried green tomatoes, fried zucchini, squash, etc. so I always try to do a dish like one of those or with similar ingredients. The other day I ran across this yummy recipe for fried green quinoa balls and thought I would share with you!
Fried Green Quinoa Balls
· ½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
· 1 sweet potato, cubed
· 4 green onions sliced
· 1 handful of baby spinach, kale, or any other dark leafy green veggie that you like
· ¼ cup of chopped oregano
· ¼ cup chopped basil
· 2 pinches of red pepper flakes
· 1 tsp of oil of your choice, recipe calls for coconut oil (I use olive oil when I can)
· Black pepper
· Place quinoa in a sauce pan and cover with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer on low. Keep it covered while simmering. As soon as the water is absorbed, turn of the heat and leave the lid off. You want the texture to be sticky!
· Steam one whole, peeled and cubed sweet potato. You do not want this to be too soft or overcooked because it will be mushy.
· Add the sweet potatoes and quinoa together and then add in the green onion, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Use a wooden spoon to mix ingredients. If it is not blending together well, this is where you will add in 1 tsp of oil.
· Once blended together, roll into equal size balls. You do not want to make the balls too big or they will fall apart when you cook them.
· Place oil in a frying pan, heat to medium heat. Once the oil is hot, place the quinoa balls in the pan and let them brown before flipping them.
· Once browned, place on a plate, let cool and they are ready to serve!
Don’t be vicious at your next cookout or get together, be nutritious with this delicious recipe. I hope you all enjoy the Memorial Day weekend and maybe you can add this recipe to the outdoor festivities!
What is your favorite cookout dish?